Newsletter - May 12, 2023
Black Wolf Bulletin
May 12, 2023; Issue 18
Dear Lakeside Families,
This week was Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week. Lakeside is so fortunate to have an amazing group of educators and support staff that value strong relationships and personal growth for every learner. If you have not yet reached out to thank your child's teachers, please send a note or an email to share your appreciation!
Our last PTO meeting of the year was Monday. A huge thank you goes to our PTO officers for coordinating events and fundraising to support the students and staff here at Lakeside! Last week, our PTO was instrumental in celebrating Staff Appreciation. Thank you to all families who donated items for Staff Appreciation. A special thanks goes out to Kari Zabel and Terri Oesterreich for setting up for each day's theme! The Lakeside staff felt the love this week!
As we get closer to the end of the school year, we will have a few events coming up for families:
- Kindergarten students will celebrate "moving on" on Tuesday, May 30 at 1:15 pm! All guests will need to enter the building through Door #1 and check in at the office (with a drivers license). We recommend arriving at least 15-20 minutes prior to this event if you have never checked in to our Raptor system.
- Fifth grade promotion and DARE graduation will take place on Friday, June 2 at 9:00 am. All guests will need to enter the building through Door #1 and check in at the office (with a drivers license). We recommend arriving at least 15-20 minutes prior to this event if you have never checked in to our Raptor system.
- Field Day events are scheduled for the afternoon of Friday, June 2. Please be on the lookout for a sign up genius to volunteer for this afternoon of fun!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Upcoming Lakeside Events
- May 15th - Lakeside Spring Concert, Alberta Kimball Auditorium, 6 - 7pm
- May 15th - 18th - 5th grade Human Growth & Development lessons
- May 18th
- KG field trip to the Building for Kids
- KG/1st grade Popsicles on the Playground, 4 - 5pm
- May 24th - 1st grade field trip to the NEW Zoo
- May 25th
- 3rd grade field trip to the Milwaukee Zoo
- 4th grade field trip to the History Museum at the Castle
- May 26th - 5th grade Market Day
- May 29th - No school - Memorial Day
- May 30th - Kindergarten Promotion, 1:15 - 2:30pm
- May 31st
- 2nd grade field trip to the Milwaukee Public Museum
- 5th grade field trip to the Timber Rattlers
- June 2nd
- Last day of school
- 5th grade Promotion, 9 - 10am
- Field Day, 12:30 - 2:30pm
New Garden Beds Installed!
If you've been to Lakeside recently, you may have noticed that we have some new garden beds installed! Our old garden beds were falling apart, so one of our WONDERFUL volunteers, Nancy Benkoske, spearheaded the effort to raise funds for new beds, soil and seeds. She and her husband, Mark, then removed the old beds and built six beautiful new ones from cedar. More soil will be added soon, and plants are scheduled to arrive later in May. We are so grateful to Nancy and Mark Benkoske for their hard work on this project, and we know we will be enjoying the new beds for years to come - thank you, both!
We would also like to extend a thank you to the following individuals and organizations for their role in supporting our garden beds:
- Oshkosh Area School District for providing financing for five of the new beds
- Noffke Lumber, who generously provided the lumber for the sixth bed
- Wild Ones of the Fox Valley, who awarded grant money to purchase the prairie and pollinator plants that will fill the beds
- As part of the national Wild Ones organization, Wild Ones of the Fox Valley was established in 1994 and promotes natural landscaping using native plants.
- Tom Verstegen, who provided additional mulch for the garden beds
- Lakeside families that provided monetary donations during our Family Night, which will be used for plants
Thank you so much for your support of Lakeside Elementary!
End of the Year Update from the Health Office
Yearbooks have been delivered to school! Teachers have received the copies for students who pre-ordered yearbooks; if you haven't seen your child's yet, know that many teachers hold them for the last week of school for signing. If your family forgot to order a yearbook but you still want one, you're in luck! We have a few available in the office for purchase on a first come, first served basis. They are $14.00 each, and please note that we are unable to make change. Make checks payable to Lakeside Elementary, or send exact change with your child.
ORD Youth Track Meet
Event RemindersAre you coming to school for an event during the school day? If you know you will be attending an event at school and you've already been scanned using our "Raptor" security system (this year or any prior year), call the office or send me an email ahead of time. I'll have your visitor badge printed and ready to go, and you can skip the line!
Not "Raptored" yet? Please remember to bring your photo ID the first time you come to school for an event during the day. After that first time, we can look you up by name.
Thank you for helping us keep our school and your children safe!
As a reminder, if you are interested in volunteering by helping in your child's classroom or chaperoning a field trip, you must have a pre-approved volunteer application on file before the volunteering event. These applications are to be filled out each school year, but then are good for the remainder of the year, and are effective for all OASD schools. You can find the application HERE.
Important!: Once you have completed your application, let the office know so that we can request that the application be processed; this does not happen automatically, and can take up to 48 hours, so please plan accordingly!
Check out our Community Events page on our website for information about events happening throughout the Oshkosh community!