Newsletter - April 17, 2020
Black Wolf Bulletin
April 17, 2020; Issue 15
Dear Lakeside Families,
After hearing the new Safer at Home guidance from Governor Evers yesterday, we now know that schools in Wisconsin will be closed for the remainder of the year. We are sad to not have your children back in school this year. We hope you are doing well at home and staying healthy. We will continue at home learning and spirit activities so that we continue to feel connected. Here are a few updates for you for this week:
- Facebook has been a fun way to stay connected and share our Lakeside spirit! Last week we celebrated "Pet Week" and loved seeing your dogs, cats, and other pets! This next week, we will have two spirit days.
- Tuesday, April 21- Talented Tuesday- Showcase a talent that your child has! You can send us a video or picture on Facebook! We look forward to seeing your creativity with this one!
- Friday, April 24- Fort-building Friday- Build a fort at home and showcase your child doing at home learning in their fort on Facebook!
- Here are read aloud videos to enjoy from our staff:
Don't forget to check your spam/junk/trash folders to ensure you aren't missing any messages from teachers! In addition, all of our specialists have information below. Please check it out- there is an important technology reminder in Mrs. Stephany's communication below, as well as many resources for you in other communications below.
A Note From the School Nurse:
Hello! My name is Katie Draxler and I am the School Nurse for South Park Middle School, Lakeside Elementary School and Roosevelt Elementary School. I realize with our unplanned temporary closing of school you may have some questions about medications or supplies left in the health office, general questions about school health, 504 plans, immunizations, and/or questions about the next school year. The Oshkosh Area School District is working through many things as each day goes on. However, please feel free to email me any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them. My email address is email@example.com.
Please continue to follow the Safer At Home order set by Governor Evers. For a great explanation of what that order really means please click on this link. Reminder: this means that kids should not be hanging out with other kids that do not live with them.
I hope that everyone is doing well and staying healthy. Please reach out to me if you have any questions.
Here is an informational video to watch: What is COVID-19?
SEVERE WEATHER AWARENESS WEEK
This week was Tornado and Severe Weather Awareness Week in the state of Wisconsin. On April 16 we would have practiced a tornado watch followed by a drill at school. At school, students are asked to move to their safe area and take the safety “tuck” position.We hope that you were able to practice at home as part of the state-wide observance. If not, you still can!
Did you know...
Wisconsin averages 23 tornadoes annually? Last year Wisconsin had 28 confirmed tornadoes, but the state has had as many as 62 in one year!
Peak tornado season in Wisconsin is April to August but can occur any time. Kenosha had tornadoes as part of the January 7, 2008 storms.
Tornadoes are most frequent between 4 PM and 9 PM.
About 80% of tornadoes that hit Wisconsin are relatively weak, with winds under 110 mph. Only 1% are violent with winds over 170 mph.
~Source: Wisconsin Department of Emergency Management
This is great reminder to families to be sure everyone knows the safest place at home to go in the event of a tornado. Wishing you a safe spring!
April/May 2020 Calendar:
- 04/20/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- 04/21/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- Spirit Day: Talent Tuesday- showcase your talent!
- 04/22/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- 04/23/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- 04/24/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- Spirit Day: Fort building Friday- showcase your child doing at home learning in their fort!
- 04/27/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- 04/28/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- 04/29/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- 04/30/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm
- 05/01/20 - Virtual office hours from 9-11:30am and 1:30-3:30pm